Puerto Rico Bonds
Founding partners August M. Iorio and Jorge Altamirano have spent the past seven years helping hundreds of Puerto Ricans recover investment losses resulting from unsuitable concentration in Puerto Rico municipal bonds and Puerto Rico bond funds. We have handled all aspects of FINRA arbitration claims for individual investors, groups of investors, and Puerto Rican Cooperativas from inception through disposition, including:
- Case management: We have handled hundreds of cases and have an extensive understanding of FINRA’s arbitration process, rules, and deadlines. August M. Iorio has ten years of experience as a securities arbitration attorney, and Jorge Altamirano has been a securities arbitration lawyer for seven years. We are thorough, do not miss deadlines, and use our vast knowledge of the process and rules to our clients’ advantage.
- Discovery: FINRA’s rules provide for exchanging certain documents and information in preparation for the hearing. We have in-depth knowledge of all the discovery rules and how arbitrators tend to rule on discovery disputes. We are adept at managing electronic discovery (or “E-Discovery”) efficiently. Our experience allows us to streamline the discovery process for our clients and reduce their burden. We use our expertise to gather and present compelling and robust evidence to support our clients’ claims.
- Motion practice: FINRA arbitrations often require written motions that seek relief from the arbitration panel when the parties cannot agree. For example, when a party refuses to produce documents requested by the other party, the party seeking the documents can file a written motion to compel discovery. The motion to compel discovery will set forth the records being sought and why they are relevant and should be produced. The opposing party has an opportunity to file a written response, called an opposition. We have drafted and filed successful discovery motions and oppositions to discovery motions. In addition to drafting hundreds of these discovery-related motions, we also have extensive experience in drafting other compelling and persuasive motions, including:
- Oppositions to a Motion to Dismiss;
- Oppositions to a Motion to Separate Claims;
- Motions and Oppositions for Subpoenas to Testify;
- Motions and Opposition for Subpoenas to Produce Documents;
- Motions for Virtual Hearings; and
- Motions to Amend Pleadings.
- Oral arguments: After written motions are fully briefed, oral arguments are often required. Attorneys for both parties verbally present their factual and legal arguments to the arbitration panel and answer the arbitrators’ questions. We have argued hundreds of motions with great success against some of the world’s top law firms. We are proud of our record of advocating for our investor clients and obtaining favorable rulings.
- Case Analysis: After all the relevant documents and information have been exchanged, our job is to evaluate the case. To do so, we review and interpret applicable laws and regulations, account-related documents, financial information, emails, notes, commissions runs, BrokerCheck Reports, pleadings, motions, expert reports, and other publicly available information. In addition, our team is well-equipped to review, analyze, and explain profit and loss analysis reports. These reports show how the investment accounts and investments have performed over time. August M. Iorio, who has a finance background, has dissected, prepared, and audited thousands of these reports. Jorge Altamirano has a keen ability to explain these reports, in plain language, to our clients.
- Negotiation: August M. Iorio and Jorge Altamirano are both experienced negotiators and have helped settle hundreds of claims for Puerto Ricans. We know the opposition, and we know the process. We take the time to explain this process – and the numbers - to our clients. We show them respect and empathy. We have experience settling cases through mediation and direct settlement discussions.
- Arbitration: August M. Iorio and Jorge Altamirano are skilled and experienced trial lawyers who focus exclusively on securities arbitration. We have represented customers in numerous FINRA arbitrations. Jorge Altamirano received his trial training through the National Institute of Trial Advocacy (NITA).
Iorio Altamirano LLP is proud to partner with former Puerto Rico Attorney General, Luis Sánchez Betances, and his law firm Sánchez Betances, Sifre & Muñoz Noya. We will work together to recover investor losses in risky Puerto Rico municipal bonds and Puerto Rico bond funds. Our firms have the experience, legal skills, and knowledge needed to help Puerto Ricans and Cooperativas recover investment losses resulting from unsuitable investment recommendations and misrepresentations in the sale of Puerto Rico municipal bonds and Puerto Rico bond funds.
For more information about Sánchez Betances, Sifre & Muñoz Noya, please visit their website.